12.01.2014

My Favorite Things: Festive Nails

Share:
It's not an understatement to say I'm addicted to nail polish. My personal collection is impressive(ly alarming). As much as I love getting my nails done at my favorite salon by my favorite girl (shout out to Mindy!), I can't realistically get a manicure every week (yet...). So, I got pretty decent at doing my own nails.

If you follow me on Instagram, you know I document my #notd (nails of the day) semi-regularly. I'll show you some of my favorites later, but first let's look at pretty colors! If you want to see a lot more nail polishes and nail art that I love, check out my Pinterest board that's devoted solely to nails (that's normal, right?). Here's a sampling of some of my faves.

Important note: I took these nail polish pictures from Pinterest and I claim no ownership of them.

Deep Red
I've been really into deep red shades recently, but I surprisingly don't own many myself. I found one recently that I wasn't impressed by, and I found a berry color on my successful shopping journey a couple months ago, but it's not as deeply red as these Pinterest finds.

All images from Pinterest. Clockwise from top left: OPI "William Tell Me About It"; OPI "Hollywood & Wine"; Essie "Carry On"; Essie "Recessionista"; OPI "Vampire State Building"

Navy
Navy nail polish is always a go-to of mine. And unlike the deep reds, I own A LOT of navy shades. Here are some I really like -- especially the sparkly one!

All images from Pinterest. Clockwise from top left: Butter London "Royal Navy"; OPI "Dating a Royal"; OPI "Yoga-ta Get This Blue"; OPI "Unfor-greta-bly Blue"; Essie "Starry Night"; OPI "I Saw…U Saw…We Saw…Warsaw"
Pink
Pink is always a safe nail choice. If you're trying to keep it neutral, you can go with a pale pink (Mod About You is an excellent choice). Or if you want to get sassy, add some sparkles on top or go with a neon shade.

All images from Pinterest. Clockwise from top left: OPI "Mod About You"; Zoya "Charisma"; Essie "Pilates Hottie"; Essie "Bermuda Shorts"; Zoya "Whitney"; Essie "Demure Vixen"; Essie "Boom Boom Room"
Green
Green may seem like a risky color choice. I'm really into deep green shades these days -- I'm talking so deep they're nearly black. Or maybe one or two shades lighter than that. I don't know if I can pull off a mid-tone green. I've entertained the idea once or twice at the nail salon, but I've never committed. Sparkly greens are always fun, but also a little Christmas-y. A little festivity never stopped me, though!

All images from Pinterest. Clockwise from top left: OPI "Jade is the New Black"; China Glaze "Emerald Sparkle"; Zoya "Hunter"; Essie "Going Incognito"; "OPI "Christmas Gone Plaid"
Gold
I spent a lot of time over the last several months trying to find the perfect shade of gold nail polish for my friend's wedding (gold was in the color palette, and my nails obviously had to be on theme). I'll show you what I ended up doing a bit later, but for now here is some of my inspiration.

All images from Pinterest. Clockwise from top left: OPI "Push and Shove"; China Glaze "Champagne Kisses"; Essie "Good As Gold"; Zoya "Godiva"; OPI "Wonderous Star"; OPI "My Favorite Ornament"; "OPI "Glitzerland"
Purple
Similar to navy, purple is also a common color for me. Basically any shade of purple is a winner in my book. Right now I'm particularly into the dark shades, perhaps because of the season.

All images from Pinterest. Clockwise from top left: OPI "You're Such a Budapest"; Zoya "Lotus" (accent nail is China Glaze "Prism"); Essie "Island Hopping"; Essie "No More Film"; OPI "Vant to Bite My Neck?"; OPI "Sapphire in the Snow"; OPI "Dutch Ya Just Love OPI"; Essie "Picture Perfect"
I mentioned that I was looking for the perfect gold polish for my friend's wedding. At first, I was planning to use a color I already have (since I have several gold shades), so I tested a few choices on myself the week before the wedding. I also was too lazy to remove the test colors before going to work the next day (glitter is really hard to remove!), so I definitely went into the office with multicolored nails. I struggled for a few days over which one to go with -- it's fair to say I sought too many opinions, which didn't help me make a decision. The best part, of course, was that I ultimately didn't choose any of those colors. Typical. Here's a look  at my test hand (left picture) and my final wedding nails (right picture).


Because I'm addicted to nail polish and have the attention span of a gnat, I paint and repaint my own nails way too frequently. Here is just a sampling of some of my at-home manicures. (Naming each of these colors would take forever, so I'm not going to do it. But, if you're interested in a specific color, let me know and I can tell you the name(s).)

SO MANY MANIS
That's probably enough about nail polish for today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment