4.01.2015

Chicken Stir Fry: Simple and Yummy

Share:

It's no secret that cooking isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying to do better! I decided to take a stab at a simple chicken stir fry -- I figured it's hard to mess that up. I didn't follow a recipe; I just went to the grocery store and picked the veggies that spoke the most to me. 

I opted for broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers (red, orange and yellow, because I like color), green beans, carrots and asparagus. I also bought water chestnuts but managed to forget to put them in, even though they were sitting on the counter staring me in the face. You could also add mushrooms, peas, zucchini...really anything you want. In addition to the veggies, I decided to include some pasta (I do love a good carb...) and chicken. 

I started by rinsing and cutting the chicken. I bought a roughly one-pound package since that was the smallest amount I could find, but you can adjust that based on how much you're trying to make. I recommend a thinly sliced breast so it cooks faster, too. I seasoned it with some salt, pepper and garlic powder, and put just a little bit of olive oil in the pan to cook it with. 



I cooked the pasta according to the package, and set it aside until I needed it. Then I began chopping all the veggies, which took a lot longer than I anticipated. I used all fresh veggies except the green beans, because for the life of me I couldn't find fresh green beans in the produce section of my grocery store. Since those were frozen, I let them sit out on the counter so they wouldn't be ice cold when I went to blanch them.

I'll admit I didn't really know what blanching was before this. My friend Brittney suggested I try it and it worked out well. It's super fast, first of all, but it also results in veggies that are cooked but still have some crunch to them. Not too hard, not too soggy. 

While I was chopping, a put a large pot of water on the stove and let it come to a vigorous boil. Once it was boiling and the veggies were chopped, I put them in the water for about three to four minutes. I then drained them in a colander and put them back in the pot on the stove (and turned it to a low heat). I added the chicken and pasta and about half a bottle of stir fry sauce (you can use any sauce you like. I was overwhelmed by the options and chose the one with the most straightforward name. It tasted pretty great though!). I mixed everything together and let it all warm up for a few minutes. 

I didn't measure anything because I was feeling sassy. I probably overdid it on quantity considering I'm one person and the biggest pot I own was completely full. But that just means I have leftovers for a few days.



Overall, I really enjoyed it. I like that I can adjust the ingredients based on my mood. I'll definitely include the water chestnuts next time, and maybe I'll opt for spaghetti pasta instead, or even rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment