Planting a Succulent Garden


I mentioned recently that I bought some succulents to create my own little succulent garden, and now it's officially complete! I'm really happy with how it turned out!

The hardest part, surprisingly enough, was finding a planter for it. At first I was firmly against an unpainted terra cotta pot and wanted something glazed and pretty. I bought one, but it turned out to be too small. And since I had to go back to the drawing board, I also decided I'd rather have something more natural and earthy. I found my new planter at HomeGoods (my favorite store) and liked the stoney look it has. It looks natural but still pretty, and it's shallow and round which is exactly what I wanted, too.

My dad helped me with this process since he's a plant whisperer. First we went to Home Depot and looked through the selection of succulents. I wanted a variety of shapes, heights and colors. The ones I got are basically all green, but they're different shades of green so it works.

My dad held onto them for me for a few days until we found the planter and were ready to re-pot them.

  • Assorted succulents
  • Round, shallow planter (it doesn't have to be round or shallow, it just needs to fit the plants comfortably and drain easily)
  • Potting soil (dry soil)
  • Assorted rocks (not too small, not too large)
  • Mesh netting, any color
  • Trowel
  • Scissors
  • Spoon
Note: The supply list contains affiliate links, which means I could get a small commission if you buy something. It won't cost you anything extra.

We started by adding some rocks to the bottom of the planter. (Note that the planter has a drainage hole at the bottom, which is essential.) Because there was only one hole, the rocks help increase the drainage area. Then we added some netting on top of the rocks, which helps prevent the soil from clogging the crevices between the rocks. Both of these things help ensure the dirt will drain easily.

Once the rocks and netting were in place, we added soil and began transferring the plants. We staged them first in their individual pots to determine how they should look in their new pot, and then planted them accordingly.

One of the little plants had a hard time standing up on its own. It had plastic around it in its little pot, which helped it stand. But for this, we added some wooden posts for support. Hopefully when the roots grow a bit more into the new soil, it'll be able to stand on its own.

Once everything was planted, we used a spoon to fill in the low areas with more soil, and voila! My succulent garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment