7.10.2015

4th of July in New York City

Share:

Did you see that little firework in the picture above? Just wanted to point it out in case you missed it. :)

I went to New York City for 4th of July weekend this year, and it was a blast. My friend Yelena lives up there, so I try to visit pretty regularly. Ordinarily I would avoid going up on a holiday weekend, but as far as holidays go, this one is pretty painless. Most people in NYC leave the city, so it's a ghost town. 

And as an added bonus, I found out my friend Sophie was going to be in New York that weekend as well. She lives in London, so I don't see her often. I couldn't pass up a weekend to see both of them!


I got to NYC late Thursday night and went to Yelena's sister's place. She was nice enough to "babysit" me while Yelena worked. We stayed up late chatting and then woke up early to grab breakfast. On our way to breakfast, we turned a corner and I came face to face (so to speak) with the Flatiron building. I've been to NYC so many times that I shouldn't be phased by these landmarks, but I am.

We relaxed for a bit and then met up with Yelena for a late lunch before she went to work. They were dog sitting for a friend, so I got a good amount of puppy snuggles in with Maggie (the dog). She loves belly rubs and basically as soon as you touch her, she rolls over to give you easier access for the rubs.

While Yelena was at work, her sister and I went to Long Island for a BBQ at her brother-in-law's house. It was probably the biggest house I've ever seen in my life, and I'm from the suburbs. Everyone was so nice and it was a really fun evening. 


Saturday I woke up early and went to Brooklyn to meet up with Sophie. We walked around a lot before getting brunch, hitting up a flea market, and heading back to Manhattan to meet up with everyone else. I don't think I'm cool enough for Brooklyn, but it was nice to explore a part of NYC I haven't spent much time in before. Once we got back to Manhattan, we had a girls day of mani-pedis and then had a yummy Italian dinner. Because it was Sophie's first 4th of July in the U.S., we wanted to make sure she saw some fireworks. 


We watched the fireworks from Yelena's sister's roof, which had amazing views of the city. I was probably the only person not paying attention to the fireworks because I was so caught up with how close the Empire State Building was to us.


After the fireworks, we had some prosecco and hung out until Sophie had to head back to Brooklyn. We only had the one day to hang out, which wasn't an ideal amount of time, but it's definitely better than nothing. Hopefully I'll make my way to London soon to visit her.

Sunday, we grabbed some brunch and I headed back to DC. I actually didn't spend as much time with Yelena as I would've liked either. It just means I'll have to plan another trip soon when she isn't so busy with work. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment