12.21.2015

Winter Getaway to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Share:

A couple weeks ago, I went on my first tropical vacation. I definitely see the allure. Perfect weather, lots of relaxing, disconnection from the real world, and plenty of time to read books.

I went with my friend Alla -- this was not her first tropical vacation, so she showed me the ropes. I was a quick learner. Every day consisted lounging at the beach, quick dips in the pool, and food. I also managed to read 6 books. Overall, quite a successful week!



The Punta Cana airport is almost entirely outdoors, which was amazing. This was the first of many straw (grass? palm tree?) roofs I saw that week.



These were our first drinks of the trip -- Pina Coladas, obviously.



Take a minute to understand this picture, because it's amazing. I was standing inside the bathroom when I took it, and Alla was standing in the main area of the room. There was a window between the bathroom and main area, which is a bit original. But what made it even more interesting was the privacy curtain. It was on the outside, meaning the person in the main area was in control of it, rather than the person in the bathroom. Never a dull moment !



This is my new favorite fruit in the history of all fruit: Passion fruit. I hadn't had it before this trip, and I made it my life's mission to eat as much of it as I possibly could. It's so delicious. If you find yourself in a place that has passion fruit aplenty, I highly urge you to go nuts and eat it all. It'll be worth it.



This is Alla's coconut. I hadn't tasted coconut water from a real coconut before. It was tasty. Also, coconuts are heavier than I would've guessed.



There were tons of cats roaming around everywhere, too. This was our airport friend. We named her Coconut.

Overall, this was a fun trip. I'm glad I had the experience and I definitely see why so many people love this type of vacation. I think I may still be more partial to more exploratory trips, like walking around and exploring a new city, but I would certainly be open to another island getaway in the future.

And now, I'll leave you with several beach-related pictures.

































1 comment: